Understanding Charges for Extortion
In Arizona Theft by Extortion is committed when a person knowingly obtains or seeks to obtain property or services by threatening to take any of these actions in the future:
- Cause physical injury to anyone by means of a deadly weapon or dangerous instrument or cause death or serious physical injury to anyone.
- Cause damage to property.
- Engage in other conduct constituting an offense.
- Accuse anyone of a crime or bring criminal charges against anyone.
- Expose a secret or an asserted fact, whether true or false, tending to subject anyone to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or to impair the person’s credit or business.
- Take or withhold action as a public servant.
- Cause a public servant to take or withhold action.
- Cause anyone to part with any property.
A.R.S. §13-1804. Extortion is the legal term for blackmail.
Extortion involving the threat of physical injury or death by the use of a deadly weapon is a class 2 felony. This is Theft of Extortion charged under Arizona state statute A.R.S. 13-1804(A)(1). A class 2 felony can carry a prison sentence of 3 years to 12.5 years depending on the facts of the crime, mitigating factors, and the presence of prior criminal offenses.
If the threat to take future action does not involve physical injury, death, or a deadly weapon, then the Extortion crime is charged as a class 4 felony. Under Arizona law, a class 4 felony can carry a prison sentence of 1 year to 3.75 years. Similar to sentences for a conviction of a class 2 felony, the number of years sentenced for a class 4 felony depends on specifics of the crime and the presence of mitigating factors or prior criminal offenses.
Defending Against Theft by Extortion Charges in Arizona
If you are facing charges for Theft by Extortion in Arizona, you need an aggressive and experienced white collar criminal defense attorney on your side. Ashley D. Adams is a former white collar crime prosecutor with the United States Attorney’s Office. She understands how prosecutors operate. Given her prior work, she also has a longstanding and positive relationship with the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the Attorney General’s Office, and the Department of Justice. Put Ashley D. Adam’s experience to work for you.
The attorneys at Ashley D. Adams, PLC handle state criminal cases throughout Arizona including the cities of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Glendale, Mesa, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Maricopa, Gilbert, Peoria, Surprise, Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Avondale, Chandler, Casa Grande, Florence, Queen Creek, Deer Valley, North Pinal and Sun City as well as those living in and around Maricopa County, Pinal County, Pima County, Yuma County and Yavapai County.
The attorneys at Ashley D. Adams, PLC handle federal criminal cases throughout the United States, including Arizona, Oklahoma, Utah, and California.